CalRights Turns Four
On October 5, 2013, California Legal Rights Fund turned four years old. We did not mark the occasion or celebrate in any special way. We were too busy helping people.
However, taking time to look back on what we accomplished in three years, we see a record that we are justifyably proud of.
- Through the web site we sponsor, HelpIGotATicket.com, we have helped hundreds of thousands of people fight their California traffic tickets.
- While it is not possible to know the overall win rate for people using the site, from the feedback we get, we have to believe that it is at least 80%.
- Additionally, we have assisted dozens of people with appeals on traffic tickets.
- On appeals our win rate is appproximately 80%.
- One case in which we assisted on the appeal was certified for publication.
That is a record most law offices would be proud of, but we did that as paralegals. And that wasn't all we did.
We took on a major First Amendment case. The Department of Justice, on behalf of the IRS, had gone into US District Court to prevent publication of a two volume set on wills and trusts. We saw this as a direct challenge to the right of freedom of the press, and offered to help by providing legal research and paralegal assistance. The defendants, appearing pro se in federal court against the DoJ and with only our help, prevailed and the books are still available.
As impressive as our record is, probably the most amazing thing is that we accomplished all of the above on a budget of less than $2,000 per month.
We have other projects to work on, including another First Amendment case. While these battles are not cheap, we have demonstrated that we can make a dollar go a long way, and we are committed to the fight. Any support you can offer is greatly appreciated and tax deductible.